Sunday, October 6, 2013

Richardson Grove State Park

October 6th, 
The morning we wild camped we packed up quickly and made it out to the road without any issues.  We continued along the Ave of the Giants until Phillipsville then crossed over back to the 101.  We didn't stay on it long as a man told us to take the Redway up to Garberville as we would avoid a really steep hill that in his words "would kill us".  We were thankful because although there was still a really big hill, it was quieter and we got to be back in the redwoods.  
Throughout the day we passed over many high bridges with spectacular views of the forested mountain sides and meandering creeks.  I wish I stopped to take a picture of every one, they were so gorgeous.  The hills were large but not very steep so I could (finally) put my bike in a low gear and just glide up the hills.  It is finally a pleasure to ride my bike.  Who knew I was just always in too high of a gear. I wish I knew more about bikes so that the last month was not so hard on my knees and mental strength.  Very happy I spent the $364 on my bike.  
The day ended at Richardson Grove State Park and to our surprise, was somewhat closed.  It is a large campground and only one part was still open which was a short hilly ride away from the closed hiker/biker area.  We didn't see any rangers anywhere and there was still water available so we stayed the night.  On the trip to the bathroom (in the open section) we meet a couple that were out camping for their wedding anniversary; Bruce and Sarah.  It turned out that Bruce once worked at a bike shop and helped me to become even more comfortable on my aero bars and saddle.  Sarah gave me some coconut water that is high in potassium to help with the muscle burn as well.  Thanks Bruce and Sarah!! Once we finished talking to them we rode back to our site where Bryan and Maggie had an egg curry dinner waiting for us. Yum! (it was their turn to cook)      

No comments:

Post a Comment