Saturday, November 23, 2013

West of Catavina

We  all left at different times in the morning, with Melanie leaving first at 7:30.  The mud on our wheels from a night rain stuck oppressively and I wasn't able to remove it all for at least another 100km.  Erin and I ended up getting out of there and rolling at 10:10am or so and I got my second highest speed (Even with the muddy wheel break) going 69.4 km/h on a  down hill. Erin said I was really crouched into my high speed corner. For my part, it was a bit like having a motorcycle again.
We had lunch at a little ranch turned restaurant and then headed out again.  Bryan, Maggie and Justin rode together and soon outpaced us.  Erin and I made camp a bit after the turn off to El Marmal, the old onyx mine.  the region is callled the Sonoran Desert Vegetation region and certainly included much desert like including barrel cactus, chollar,agaves, boojum trees and huge cardons.

Boojum trees seen against the horizon - they look right out of a Dr Seuss illustration.
We followed a dirt road into the desert, and found a nice sandy spot to camp in a dry creek bed.  It was a beautiful night, and we were out of sight of the highway.  Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment