Sunday, November 24, 2013

South of Catavina

The next morning in the dried up river bed we woke up to our tent completely soaked in dew and condensation. By completely I mean inside, outside and dripping onto my sleeping bag.  We don't know if it was the slightly damp sand that made it extra special or what but it was awful. I didn't really know how to deal with all the wet so I pondered quite a bit in my morning sleepiness.  Finally giving up trying to dry it all, I stuffed my sleeping bag and packed up the tent hoping to be able to dry them out later.
The ride into Catavina was quite beautiful as we entered boulder country.  Giant rocks everywhere. My Baja camping book described it as a photographers paradise and it certainly was.  I didn't want to get off my bike in order to take the pictures so I have learnt how to take them while riding. Sometimes they even turn out good.


We ate lunch in catavina at I think one of the only restaurants, and picked up some snacks and water (our first fill up in a few days) at the smallest grocery store.  Since this was the gas gap (about 315km) there were guys selling it out of their pick up trucks at a premium.  
We rode about 30km more then started looking for a camping spot.  We didn't ride very far but it sure felt like a long day.  We pulled off onto this little dirt road carefull of not riding over thorns and camped on the road at the bottom of one of the little hills. The road didn't have any fresh tracks on it and you couldn't see us from the highway so we thought it was pretty safe. But to make sure no one ran us over in the middle of the night Rigel put up a stick with his helmet on it at the top of the hill before our tent.  But I wasen't that worried.  It was also very windy that day which made setting up our tent a little difficult.  


No comments:

Post a Comment